Lenovo Summer Games Blogger

Monday, July 7, 2008

My weight loss journey

It is now being decided that I want to return to diving but at this stage I am not nearly fit enough to do so with the shape I am in so before I get back on the diving board I embark on my biggest fitness campaign yet.  

I have a whopping 22 kilos to lose and at this stage we are less than one year out from the Olympic trials.  I approached the AIS head Coach Hui Tong if i can use the AIS Strength and Conditioning Coach to oversee my program and keep me on track.  This proves to be tougher than I imagine.  

I have lost more fitness than I thought, my flexibility is next to nothing and I have no strength left.  I know it will be tough but it will be worth it in the end.

After 3 months of 2 hours of cardio 6 days a week combined with a low fat diet with portion controlled meals and I was fit enough to get back into bathers.  It is now coming up to one year ago that I did my first dive back into the water.  I was still very uncoordinated.  My limbs seemed like they had a mind of their own and my core stability was still very poor so it was difficult for me to spin somersaults.

To be honest there were more times when I wondered how I was going to pull this off and get back on a team but I had come to far and set the wheels in motion so I had to follow through.

There were times when my body was too sore, I was getting niggling injuries and I was very frustrated and emotional but what kept me going was that I would have a little win every now and then the motivation kicked in.

As hard as the initial part of the come back was, the challenge was so satisfying and I began to appreciate my sport more and more each day.  I knew this would be my final year and I was determined to enjoy it. I did, I love diving.  I love the training and I love working towards something big!  

If I wasn't going to make the team for Beijing, I was going to enjoy my time trying!

No comments: